DUE TO THE PANDEMIC, WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE PROGRAM
AT THIS TIME. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT US, WE WILL REACH OUT TO YOU AS
WE PREPARE TO MOVE FORWARD AGAIN. THANK YOU
YOGA INSTRUCTOR FOR KIDS PROGRAMS
Raja Yoga and Meditation Center of Greater Philadelphia is a non-profit, down-to-earth, cozy, neighborhood yoga studio located in Southwest Center City. We offer regular classes, workshops and in-depth yoga and training programs. In addition to the core studio, The Center provides programs for kids and seniors, and also fundraises for and implements outreach programs to bring yoga and meditation at no cost to at-need populations in the community.
We are looking to expand our base of instructors for our kids programs in two ways:
- We are looking for candidates interested in leading or assisting our after school program for kids. After school programs are 2 hours long at the studio in Southwest Center City.
- We are also looking for an outreach instructor to support one in-school program, with additional programs potentially available in the future. Programs are taught weekly at a school and classes run for 45 minutes with a maximum of 20 students with one adult school representative present.
The ideal candidate for these positions will have completed at least a basic 200-hour yoga training course or similar training, be a responsible and self-motivated person with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and have an interest in bringing yoga and meditation to kids and schools. Kids yoga certifications are a plus but are not required.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
- Complete baseline training with Raja Yoga for kids yoga.
- Obtain required clearances for working with children (PA State Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI Criminal History Background Check).
- Establish relationships and maintain regular communication with schools.
- Reliably conduct weekly yoga and meditation classes at the school or studio.
- Be available for cross training with other school outreach programs to substitute on occasion if possible.
- Offer thoughtful and clear communications with Founder, Board of Directors, instructors, and students regarding performance of the outreach program.
- Participation in our annual fundraising event “Gratitude Night”. This usually occurs in November and the date will be set early and must be protected, unless otherwise agreed with the Executive Director.
Skills and Qualifications
- 200 hour yoga teacher training required.
- Kids yoga certifications are a plus but are not required.
- Enjoys working with kids. Experience of any kind in managing groups of children (e.g. a classroom, summer camp, after school program etc.) is helpful, but not required.
- Candidates should have a steady demeanor and ability to effectively manage and engage a group of kids who may be challenging to focus and who may try to challenge the instructor.
- Highly reliable, independent, and creative problem solver. Must have reliable transportation (this may include suitable public transportation, bike, car etc.).
- Ability to maintain clear communication and alignment with studio leadership.
- Candidate will need to acquire necessary clearances (including child abuse, state, and FBI criminal background check).
- Candidate will be observed for feedback as part of an introductory period.
Compensation and hours:
- Outreach instructor: $40 per outreach class, and in line with our non-profit mission, volunteer instructors are also welcome. Classes occur during normal school hours and typically between 10:00-2:00. Programs last the duration of the public school year.
- After school instructor: After school programs are ongoing and will pay $50 per day for a two hour after school slot (3:30 – 5:30 p.m.). Depending on experience, additional after school days may be added which the candidate may lead at a higher level of compensation (this will be discussed during the interview). After school programs are held at Raja Yoga Studio in Southwest Center City.
- Candidate will enjoy free kid yoga training. Depending on the availability of openings at the studio, s/he may also earn additional income from teaching.
How to apply
Email a one-page cover letter along with your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- Whether you are interested in school outreach or an after school program or both.
- Why you are passionate about bringing yoga and meditation to kids. If you are applying for the outreach program, please tell us why you are passionate about bringing yoga to kids in schools!
- What you believe you would bring to the position as described.
Qualified candidates will be contacted within the month of application. Once the role is filled, the position will be removed from the website.